Sunday, August 30, 2009

Spotlight: Lizzi Miller

I'm sure, by now, many of you have seen this picture in the September issue of Glamour. It's not on the cover, it's not in the spread, and it's not even in the front of the magazine--but it's causing one hell of a stir. Meet Lizzi:
0814-lizzie-miller_vg.jpg
This picture of 20 year old model Lizzi Miller can be found on p. 194 in the article "What Everyone But You Sees About Your Body." Says Editor in Chief Cindi Leive, "we'd commissioned a story on feeling comfortable in your skin, and I wanted a model who looked like she was."

The article focuses on the sexiness we exude but don't notice, the beauty we overlook in our own bodies because we're too busy bashing ourselves. It offers advice on how to appreciate ourselves from experts who look at women's bodies all day (Read the full article here):

When you focus on the body parts you love, your ‘flaws’ fade away.”

—Madame Athena Chang, portrait photographer

“Self-consciousness is getting in the way of your pleasure.”

—Jennifer Phillips, certified massage therapist

“We have curves for a reason.”

—Sue Baelen, licensed midwife

But it wasn't the article that caused a commotion, prompting responses and interviews like the one below. It was the picture: just a woman sitting in her underwear, smiling. Back in April Lizzi appeared in Glamour in her skivvies as well, but that picture did not nearly cause as much of a stir.

If you'll notice, this picture from April seemed to "hide" the little tummy roll that remains exposed in the newest picture, and I believe that's what makes all the difference. Though April's picture showed a confident plus-size beauty, this month's picture reveals something that everyone has but dares not speak of: a flaw. Yes, that teeny tiny flap of skin has made all the difference, empowering thousands of women and compelling them to speak out in support of this honest and un-airbrushed depiction. 

Finally, women are calling for healthy and realistic counterparts in magazines and fashion shows, refusing to accept that only thin=beautiful. And Lizzi is very candid about her views on this subject: "I just think there needs to be more representation for women who don't fit into the 'norm' of the size 2." Lizzi's only 20, but having been a model for over 6 years, she knows all about body image and pressure to conform. "I'm not saying that a size 2 isn't 'normal,' but this is my normal. I'm healthy, I work out, I lead a healthy lifestyle, and this is how I look. And I embrace it." 

At 180lbs and an admitted size 12-14, Lizzi is a softball player and belly dancer who likes to exercise "when it's fun." She says about growing up chubby: "When I was young I really struggled with my body and how it looked because I didn't understand why my friends were so effortlessly skinny. As I got older I realized that everyone's body is different and not everyone is skinny naturally--me included! I learned to love my body for how it is, every curve of it. I used to be so self-conscious in a bikini because my stomach wasn't perfectly defined. But everyone has different body shapes! And it's not all about the physical! If you walk on the beach in your bikini with confidence and you feel sexy, people will see you that way too."

Watch Lizzi and Cindi's interview on The Today Show and get involved in the debate!

3 comments:

  1. LOVED this post :D!! i really enjoyed the clip, too, and practically jumped out of my seat cheering when the Glamour editor said it might change things for the magazine :) hurray, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a fan of plus-size models! There's a great site with many images of plus-size models here:

    http://www.judgmentofparis.com/

    They're all gorgeous. The site's forum also features many thought-provoking discussions on body image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive feedback, guys! I'm in love with Lizzie, and I hope Glamour features her (and other plus size models) more often!

    ReplyDelete